Thursday, November 21, 2019

CEFR English Exercise - is - am - are

Please complete the following sentences with an “ is / am / are ”.
Please point out the errors if you come across any. (There are some really special gifts reserved for you)
Please send us your answers incase you’ve completed the entire exercise; there’s a gift for you too.
Always remember – “practice makes perfect; thus, we are what we repeatedly do”

1.               I _______ pleased that you have a new job.
2.               Politeness _______ like an air cushion; there may be nothing in it, but it eases our jolts wonderfully.
3.               I _______ having a skin graft on my arm soon.
4.               I _______ not proud, also not commit tomfoolery, is tired of all depend on.
5.               Seeing much, suffering much, and studying much _______ the three pillars of learning.
6.               Do not count your chickens before they _______ hatched.
7.               Learning without thought _______ labour lost; thought without learning _______ perilous.
8.               I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I _______ with you.
9.               Vows made in storms _______ forgotten in calms.
10.          I _______ not a princess, I cannot enjoy you love.
11.          Great men are the guide posts and landmarks in the state; are they who see that spiritual _______ stronger than any material force, that thoughts rule the world.
12.          The worst misfortunes _______ these that never happen.
13.          If I _______ not able to help you, at least I can be with you.
14.          Whatever you do, do with your might; Things done by halves _______ never done right.
15.          In an enemy, spots _______ soon seen.
16.          There _______ small choice in rotten apples.
17.          We never know the worth (or value) of water till the well _______ dry.
18.          Promises _______ like piecrust, made to be broken.
19.          No one can degrade us except ourselves; that if we _______ worthy, no influence can defeat us.
20.          I _______ waiting for a person to accompany me for a long time.
21.          I _______ afraid I can't help you.
22.          Great men _______ the guide posts and landmarks in the state; _______ they who see that spiritual is stronger than any material force, that thoughts rule the world.
23.          Idleness _______ the mother [root] of all evil [sin, vice].
24.          To my ever loving; I _______ yours forever.
25.          Better be unborn than untaught, for ignorance _______ the root of misfortune.
26.          Suspicion _______ the poison of true friendship.
27.          I love you not for who you are, but for who I _______ before you.
28.          Little thieves _______ hanged, but great ones escape.
29.          Fire and water _______ good servants, but bad masters.
30.          I _______ wholly incredulous of the truth of his story.
31.          No one knows when I _______ not happy.
32.          A vaunter and a liar _______ near akin.
33.          He _______ rich enough who has true friends.
34.          Half a loaf _______ better than no bread.
35.          As you know, I _______ a very kind person.
36.          Joys shared with others _______ more enjoyed.
37.          Take honour from me and my life _______ undone.
38.          The husband _______ always the last to know.
39.          Nothing _______ certain but death and taxes.
40.          Study sickness while you _______ well.
41.          For a cultivated man to be ignorant of foreign languages _______ a great inconvenience.
42.          When something sensational happens to us, sharing the happiness of the occasion with friends intensifies our joy. Conversely, in times of trouble and tension, when our spirits _______ low, unburdening our worries and fears to compassionate friends alleviates the stress.
43.          Your conversation _______ the mirror of your thoughts.
44.          I _______ infinitely grateful that you are in my small life. Happiest of Birthdays from your dear friend.
45.          I _______ not a slave, I _______ not a captive, and by energy I can overcome the greater obstacles.
46.          I _______ on my way to the grocery store.
47.          A boaster and a liar _______ all one.
48.          There is no parking between 9 _______ and 6 pm.
49.          It _______ not good to wake a sleeping lion.
50.          They that reckon without their host _______ to reckon twice.
51.          Where else _______ I gonna go?
52.          Oh, I _______ not going to die, _______ I? He will not separate us, we have been so happy.
53.          "You couldn't see my tears cause I _______ in the water." Fish said to water.
54.          Money _______ a good servant, but a bad master.
55.          All truths _______ not (always) to be told.
56.          The laws of Nature, that is to say the laws of God, plainly made every human being a law unto himself we must steadfastly refuse to obey those laws, and we must as steadfastly stand by the conventions which ignore them, since the statutes furnish us peace, fairly good government and stability, and therefore _______ better for us than the laws of God, which would soon plunge us into confusion and disorder and anarchy if we should adopt them.
57.          I _______ a very lonely at the time the children will look up to the sky, watching the sun, watching the big moon, hope to see the eyes of the neck pain, choking with tears. This is true, children do not lie.
58.          When they quarrel, I _______ often caught in the middle.
59.          There _______ a small choice in rotten apples.
60.          It _______ a sad house where the hen crows louder than the cock.
61.          The burden on likes _______ cheerfully borne.
62.          The evil [evils] we bring on ourselves _______ the hardest to bear.
63.          There _______ more foolish buyers than foolish sellers.
64.          Some books _______ to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.
65.          I can't believe I _______ really going to meet the princess.
66.          Propaganda _______ the art of persuading others of what one does not believer oneself.
67.          I _______ ready to die for my Lord, that in my blood the Church may obtain liberty and peace. Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury.
68.          A politician _______ a man who understands government, and it takes a politician to run a government. A statesman _______ a politician who's been dead ten or fifteen years.
69.          I _______ going to prune this bush down.
70.          The misfortunes hardest to bear _______ those which never come.
71.          Pain _______ forgotten where gain follows.
72.          The wolf and fox _______ both privateers.
73.          Nothing _______ impossible to willing mind (or heart).
74.          It _______ too late to lock the stable door when the steed _______ stolen.
75.          Being reluctant to think, unwilling to study intensively and under-stand deeply and being complacent and satisfied at negligible knowledge all _______ the cause of poor intelligence, which can be termed as "foolish".
76.          The wisdom of nations lies in their proverbs, which _______ brief and pithy.
77.          When the horse _______ stolen, (you) lock the stable door.
78.          I don't want to be in tears, but I _______ still in grief.
79.          I _______ not personally acquainted with the gentleman in question.
80.          When we have gold we _______ in fear; when we have none we _______ in danger.
81.          The dainties of the great _______ the tears of the poor.
82.          Am I allowed to take pictures here?
83.          A novel _______ a mirror walking along a main road.
84.          There _______ no birds of this year in last year’s nests.
85.          The tree _______ known by its [his] fruit.
86.          There _______ faults from which none of us is [are] free.
87.          It is my own fault if I _______ deceived by the same man twice.
88.          A trouble shared _______ a trouble halved.
89.          There _______ no rule without an exception.
90.          He that _______ angry _______ seldom at ease.
91.          I have tried to write this story five times but I _______ still dissatisfied with me.
92.          I have authorized him to act for me while I _______ away.
93.          When the well _______ full, it will run over.
94.          As the life is, so _______ the end.
95.          There _______ none so blind as those, that will not see.
96.          Those who complain most _______ most to be complained of.
97.          There _______ lees to every wine.
98.          I _______ not averse to a dance party and a good mean after a week's hard work.
99.          Money _______ like muck, not good except it be spread.
100.     This is who I am. Nobody said you had to like it.
101.     The tongue _______ boneless but it breaks bones.
102.     A clear fast _______ better than a dirty breakfast.
103.     A nod _______ as good as a wink to a blind horse.
104.     All things _______ difficult before they _______ easy. Thomas Fuller
105.     Freedom _______ always and exclusively freedom for the one who thinks differently.
106.     I can't express how grateful I am.
107.     I _______ not greed but I envy.
108.     Virtue and happiness _______ mother and daughter.
109.     Diseases _______ the price of ill pleasures.
110.     The handsomest flower _______ not the sweetest.
111.     I _______ not now that which I have been. (I _______ not what I used to be.).
112.     What _______ I supposed to do?
113.     Am I allowed to stay out past 10?
114.     Goods _______ theirs that enjoy them.
115.     Falling out of lovers _______ the renewing of love.
116.     Unfortunately, George cannot be with us today so I _______ pleased to accept this award on his behalf.
117.     Health and strength _______ above all gold.
118.     Experience _______ a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
119.     He alone _______ poor who does not possess knowledge.
120.     Take honour from me and my life _______ done.
121.     I _______ not easily provoked, but this behaviour is intolerable!
122.     The shortest answer _______ doing the thing.
123.     The love that _______ too violent will not last long.
124.     You _______ the greatest enemy if you _______ a coward, but if you _______ brave, you _______ your greatest friend.
125.     Hasty love _______ soon hot and soon cold.
126.     He who will not reason, _______ a bigot; he who cannot _______ a fool ; and he who dares not _______ a slave.
127.     Deeds _______ fruits, words _______ but leaves.
128.     Life _______ made up of sobs, sniffles and smiles with sniffles predominating.
129.     I _______ trying to improve my timekeeping.
130.     There _______ three ways of spreading news-- telegraph, telephone, and tel-a-woman.
131.     All _______ fish that comes to his net.
132.     I _______ writing to inform you that your rent will be increased to £60 p.w. from October 1st.
133.     I _______ about to lose my mind, you have been gone for so long.
134.     Skill and confidence _______ an unconquered army.
135.     I _______ very good, does not cry not noisy not to laugh.
136.     I _______ who I am, your opinion is neither desired nor required.
137.     I’m here to please you, i _______ your man. every day, every night, i hold you tight.
138.     I _______ quite unqualified to talk on this subject.
139.     Children _______ certain cares, but uncertain comforts.
140.     A thousand friends _______ few, one enemy is too many.
141.     In education we _______ striving not to teach youth to make a living, but to make a life.
142.     Riches _______ the root of all evil.
143.     I love you not because of who you are, but because of who i _______ when i _______ with you.
144.     Miracles _______ to those who believe in them.
145.     Undaunted by the cold and the rain, people danced until 2 am.
146.     Benefits please like flowers, while they _______ fresh.
147.     Man is not the creature of circumstances; circumstances _______ the creature of man.
148.     The more the well _______ used, the more water it gives.
149.     Why I must be a tiny part of others' life though I _______ such a nice person?
150.     Congenial minds _______ disposed to associate.
151.     A wise man _______ never less alone than when (he is) alone.
152.     A disease known _______ half cured.
153.     Affairs that _______ done by due degrees _______ soon ended.
154.     I _______ not easily provoked, but his behaviour is intolerable!
155.     Marriage _______ the bloom or blight of all men's happiness.
156.     Where drums beat, laws _______ silent.
157.     When you _______ at Rome, do as Rome does.
158.     Wisdom _______ a good purchase though we pay dear for it.
159.     I _______ pleased to tell you that your application for the post of Assistant Editor has been successful.
160.     The wife _______ the key of the house.
161.     A long dispute means that both parties _______ wrong.
162.     The tragedy of the world is that those who _______ imaginative have but slight experience, and those who _______ experienced have feeble imaginations.
163.     You do not know I _______ missing you.
164.     I _______ hopeful this misunderstanding will be rectified very quickly.
165.     The cat and dog may kiss, yet _______ none the better.
166.     I _______ considering what to do next.
167.     A good head and an industrious hand _______ worth gold in any land.
168.     I will preface what I _______ going to say with a few lines from Shakespeare.
169.     Virtue _______ a jewel of great price.
170.     Mama, thank you for who I am.
171.     Words _______ the voice of the heart.
172.     The follies of youth _______ food for repentance in old age.
173.     One cloud _______ enough to eclipse all the sun.
174.     Eternity _______ in love with the productions of time.
175.     False friends _______ worse than bitter enemies.
176.     We, the rustling leaves, have a voice that answers the storms, but who are you so silent " I _______ a mere flower.
177.     Sickness shows us what we are.
178.     Men of courage, men of sense, and men of letters _______ frequent: but a true gentleman is what one seldom sees.
179.     Riches _______ gotten with pain, kept with care, and lost with grief.
180.     Those who _______ quick to promise _______ generally slow to perform.
181.     Love is like sea with lots of waves, I recall the sailing boat when I _______ old Nobody will remember all of you like me.
182.     An Englishman’s home _______ his castle.
183.     To choose time _______ to save time.
184.     When an end is lawful and obligatory, the indispensable means to is _______ also lawful and obligatory.
185.     Success has many fathers, while failure _______ an orphan.
186.     My heart beats for you every day. I _______ inspired by you every minute, and I worry about you every second. It is wonderful to have you in my life.
187.     All politics _______ based on the indifference of the majority.
188.     All _______ not merry that dance lightly.
189.     He that has no children knows not what _______ love.
190.     I _______ caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.
191.     False friends _______ worse than open enemies.
192.     What _______ there sadder under the sun than a day that _______ gone and nothing done.
193.     I _______ just a friend, and she is your everything.
194.     A handful of common sense _______ worth bushel of learning.
195.     Freedom _______ the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that _______ granted, all else follows.
196.     John will be my deputy while I _______ on holiday.
197.     It _______ the nature of every man to err, but only the fool perseveres in the error.
198.     Envy _______ blind and knows nothing except how to depreciate the excellence of others.
199.     In this world there is always danger for those who _______ afraid of it.
200.     Glory _______ the shadow of virtue.
201.     The family you came from isn't as important as the family you _______ going to have.
202.     There _______ no royal road to learning.
203.     Success has many fathers, but failure _______ an orphan.
204.     First impressions _______ half the battle.
205.     I _______ not a bit anxious about my battles, If I _______ anxious I don't fight them, I wait until I _______ ready.
206.     Sweet _______ the uses of adversity.
207.     In the midst of life we _______ in death.
208.     I _______ a slow walker, but I never walk backwards.
209.     I love you not for who you are, but for who I _______ in your heart.
210.     The law cannot make all men equal, but they _______ all equal before the law.
211.     It was around 10.15 pm local time(sentencedict.com), 3.15 _______ at home.
212.     Health and understanding _______ the two great blessing of life.
213.     I _______ shocked by the atrocity of this man's crimes.
214.     I _______ embroidering this picture for my mother.
215.     Mills and wives _______ ever wanting.
216.     He _______ not a wise man who cannot play the fool on occasion.
217.     A bad compromise _______ better than a good lawsuit.
218.     I _______ confident that everything will come out right in time.
219.     Drop by drop the oceans _______ filled; stone by stone the walls _______ built.
220.     Kind words _______ the music of the world.
221.     No man _______ a hero to his valet.
222.     A house _______ not a home.
223.     I _______ in a position to save you a good deal of time.
224.     A word to the wise _______ enough.
225.     No matter how strong you _______ how notable your attainments, you have enduring significance only in your relationship to others.
226.     I _______ on your side, never leave.
227.     When I _______ sad, I take refuge in remembering happier times.
228.     I _______ accountable to my superiors for my actions.
229.     I _______ not altogether happy about the decision.
230.     Poverty on an old man’s back _______ a heavy burden.
231.     Dangers foreseen _______ the sooner prevented.
232.     As empty vessels make the loudest sound, so they that have least wit _______ the greatest babblers.
233.     Labour _______ the capital of our working men.
234.     I know I _______ not qualified, but I just want to know you.
235.     "Am I boring you?" she asked anxiously.
236.     War _______ much too important to be left to the military.
237.     What, am I going to herd your children this afternoon?
238.     Self-conquest _______ the greatest of victories.
239.     A good book _______ a light to the soul.
240.     It _______ a long lane that has no turning.
241.     Call no man happy till [until] he _______ dead.
242.     The best hearts _______ always the bravest.
243.     I _______ confident that we can restore peace, stability and respect for the rule of law.
244.     To preserve a friend three things _______ required: to honour him present, praise him absent, and assist him in his necessities.
245.     We need enemies to help define ourselves and our lives; they help us to know who we _______ not or who we do not want to be.
246.     Don't let me wait, wait until the widder then see you I _______ afraid I've language do word poor.
247.     Count not your chickens before they _______ hatched.
248.     Don't halloo till you _______ out of the wood.
249.     All I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother.
250.     Kind hearts _______ more than coronets.
251.     It _______ a good horse that never stumbles; and a good wife that never grumbles.
252.     A chain _______ only as strong as its weakest link.
253.     Love is not about running into each other in crowds. Love is an impossible meeting. For example, I _______ a bird flying in sky, u r a leopard in forest. We just fall in love accidentally.
254.     I'm very sorry, I really am.
255.     There _______ always a first brave person who breaks step with the stampeding masses fleeing in panic, who pauses to help another to his feet, creating his own eye in the storm, The stuff of heroes _______ made, forged in the midst of tragedy, in the blink of an eye.
256.     None _______ so deaf as those who will not hear.
257.     Words _______ the wise man’s counters and the fool’s money.
258.     Art _______ long, life _______ short.
259.     I _______ sick of always waiting for you!
260.     I can't express how sorry I am.
261.     The more things a man _______ ashamed of, the more respectable he is. George Bernard Shaw
262.     Scantiness of modesty _______ short of knowledge.
263.     Can u point to where I _______ on this map?
264.     I _______ sure that common sense will prevail in the end.
265.     Circumstances _______ the rulers of the weak, instruments of the wise.
266.     Painting _______ silent poetry and poetry _______ a speaking picture.
267.     Every man _______ the master of his own fortune.
268.     I _______ not fond of eating meat.
269.     I _______ anxious to avoid any possible misunderstanding.
270.     He who hath good health _______ young, and he _______ rich who owes nothing.
271.     Starting today, I _______ going to do myself a favour. To forget about the burdens. To forget about the pains. To forget about the hurts.
272.     Thinking well _______ wise; planning well, wiser; doing well, wisest and best of all.
273.     Sloth _______ the key of [to] poverty.
274.     The more riches a fool hath, the greater fool he is.
275.     I _______ sure he will win the game.
276.     We _______ not born for ourselves.
277.     Love _______ the mother of love.
278.     I _______ not only witty in myself, but the cause that wit is in other men.
279.     Brevity _______ the soul of wit.
280.     I _______ in a dilemma whether to do Maths or English.
281.     When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I _______ old, I admire kind people.
282.     I love you not for whom you are, but who I _______ when I'm by your side.
283.     The lion _______ not so fierce as he _______ painted.
284.     Don't feel bad growing old. I _______ right behind you.
285.     It _______ discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.
286.     Great talkers _______ not great doers.
287.     I tell you hopeless grief _______ passionless.
288.     We departed for London at 10 am.
289.     I _______ too happy to stand faint!
290.     The highest art _______ to conceal art.
291.     I _______ not how free and easy, nor is it how sad, I'm just used to silence.
292.     There _______ spots (even) in [on] the sun.
293.     The word "Impossible" _______ not in my dictionary.
294.     Thousands of time I have thought of you, my heart is going high into the air and flying with my blessing towards you I don't care loneliness. I _______ satisfied when you are happy and I _______ happy when I think of you!
295.     I _______ completely disgusted at you.
296.     Gifts from the enemies _______ dangerous.
297.     Kind words _______ worth much and cost little.
298.     I _______ luckier than most. I have a job.
299.     Words cannot express how pleased I am.
300.     It _______ no honour for an eagle to vanquish a dove.
301.     The best teachers of humanity _______ the lives of great men.
302.     It _______ impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
303.     Fame like a river _______ narrowest at its source and broadest afar off.
304.     I always keep a drink of water by my bedside in case I _______ thirsty in the middle of the night.
305.     I _______ immune from the disease, for I had it once.
306.     What does it matter where I _______ if you are not with me.
307.     Deeds _______ males, and words _______ females.
308.     A wicked man _______ his own hell.
309.     I _______ filled with such joy at the sight of you two beginning together.
310.     I _______ not you who who who, why care about Russia 's who's who.
311.     No one is sorrier than I _______ about what happened.
312.     I _______ making you responsible for the cooking.
313.     If the language cannot express, I _______ willing to prove that life can.
314.     Men’s characters _______ not always written on their foreheads.
315.     All _______ not gold that glitters.
316.     I _______ not myself a particularly punctual person.
317.     A straight foot _______ not afraid of a crooked shoe.
318.     I love you not for who you are, but for who I _______ before you. Sentencedict.com
319.     The more we do, the more we can do; the busier we are, the more leisure we have.
320.     Pigs may fly, but they _______ very unlikely birds.
321.     Fame usually comes to those who _______ thinking something else.
322.     Where there _______ reeds, there is water.
323.     Learning _______ an ornament in prosperity, a refuge in adversity, and a provision in old age.
324.     We hope to grow old, yet we fear old age; that is, we _______ willing to live, and afraid to die.
325.     Many heads _______ better than one.
326.     There _______ painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there _______ others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
327.     An empty hand _______ no lure for a hawk.
328.     I _______ not afraid I _______ afraid spend courage tattle and prate.
329.     I _______ not addicted to text. I _______ addicted to who I _______ texting.
330.     Those who eat most _______ not always fattest; those who read most, not always wisest.
331.     While (or Where) there _______ life there _______ hope.
332.     We should so live and labor in our time that what came to us as seed may go to the next generation as blossom, and what came to us as blossom may go to them as fruit. This _______ what we mean by progress.
333.     The cat and dog may kiss, yet _______ none the better friends.
334.     It is discouraging to think how many people _______ shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.
335.     Revolutions _______ not made with rosewater.
336.     There _______ but three ways of living: by working, by stealing, or by begging.
337.     I _______ sorry for what I have done.
338.     Conquer of fear of death and you _______ put into possession of your life.
339.     A good beginning _______ half the battle.
340.     The tragedy of the world _______ that those who are imaginative have but slight experience, and those who are experienced have feeble imaginations.
341.     Truth and love _______ two of the most powerful things in the world; and when they both go together; they cannot easily be withstood.
342.     If they say you _______ good, ask yourself if it be true.
343.     The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
344.     I _______ a member of our school football club.
345.     They _______ never alone accompanied by noble thoughts.
346.     The devil _______ good when he _______ pleased.
347.     The best physicians _______ Dr. Diet, Dr. Quiet, and Dr. Merryman.
348.     I _______ in accord with your plan.
349.     Economy _______ itself a great income.
350.     Saying and doing _______ two different things.
351.     In a great river great fish _______ found; but take heed lest you be drowned.
352.     It _______ easy to learn something about everything, but difficult to learn everything about anything.
353.     Men of privilege without power _______ waste material, Men of enlightenment without influence _______ the poorest kind of rubbish.
354.     Love _______ the true price of love.
355.     Laws _______ like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and horns break through.
356.     Poor folk [men] _______ fain of little.
357.     It is desperately sad news and I _______ absolutely shattered to hear it.
358.     There _______ no virtue that poverty destroyeth not.
359.     There _______ more trouble in having nothing to do than in having much to do.
360.     My interest is in the future because I _______ going to spend the rest of my life there.

Great you’ve come to the end of the activity. Now please email us your answers or comments to jsenglishggn@gmail.com

John Smith’s English Centre is dedicated to helping you become a super star English learner and speaker.

ALWAYS REMEMBER – “PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT; THUS, WE ARE WHAT WE REPEATEDLY DO”

No comments:

Post a Comment

CEFR English Exercise – there is – there are – there was – there were – there will be

CEFR English Exercise – there is – there are – there was – there were – there will be Please complete the following sentences with a “ ...